Forum Frequently Asked Questions
Login and Registration Issues
- Why can't I login?
- Make sure your username and password are correct. If they are, contact the forum administrator to make sure your account has not been banned or removed. It is also possible the website owner has a configuration error on their end, and they would need to fix it.
- Why do I need to register at all?
- You can view the forum without registration, however to post a reply or topic on the forum you must register.
- Why do I get logged off automatically?
- If you do not check the Remember me box when you log in, the forum will only keep you logged in for a preset time. This prevents misuse of your account by anyone else. To stay logged in, check the box during login. This is not recommended if you access the forum from a public computer, e.g. internet cafe etc.
- I've lost my password!
- Click the lost password link at the top of the forum page and follow the instructions.
- I registered but I cannot login!
- Make sure your username and password are correct. If they are, then the forum requires new registrations to be activated before you can logon. You were sent an e-mail, please follow the instructions in the email to activate your account. If you did not receive an e-mail, you may have provided an incorrect e-mail address or the e-mail may have been picked up by a spam filer. If you are sure the e-mail address you provided is correct, try contacting the forum administrator.
- I registered in the past but cannot login any more?!
- Attempt to locate the e-mail sent to you when you first registered, check your username and password and try again. It is possible an administrator has deactivated or deleted your account for some reason. Also, many forums periodically remove users who have not posted for a long time to reduce the size of the database. If this has happened, try registering again and being more involved in discussions.
User Preferences and settings
- How do I change my settings?
- If you are a registered user, all your settings are stored in the forum database. To alter them, click on the My Profile link at the top of the forum page when you are logged in. You can then change your settings using the Edit Your Details link underneath the Personal Info Heading on the top left handside.
- How do I show an image next to my username?
- To upload an image for your avatar/profile picture: click on the My Profile link at the top of the forum page when you are logged in. You can then upload an image or choose from a default image by clicking on the My Avatar link underneath the Personal Info Heading on the top left handside. The max file size for an Avatar image is 2mb. Once you have uploaded or chosen your image click on Confirm Choice or Upload if you are using your own image.
- How do I post a topic in a forum?
- To post a new topic in a forum, click the relevant button on either the forum or topic screens. Once in the relevant topic click the New Topic button to post a new topic in the forum. You need to register before you can post a message.
- How do I edit or delete a post?
- Unless you are a forum administrator or moderator, you can only edit or delete your own posts. You can edit a post by clicking the edit button in the bottom right hand corner for the relevant post.
- Why can't I access a forum?
- Some forums may be limited to certain users or groups. To view, read, post or perform another action you may need special permissions. Contact a moderator or the forum administrator to grant you access.
- Why can't I add attachments?
- The forum administrator may not have allowed attachments. Contact the forum administrator if you are unsure about why you are unable to add attachments.
- Why does my post need to be approved?
- The forum administrator may have decided that posts in the forum you are posting to require review before submission.
Formatting and Topic Types
- Can I use HTML?
- No. It is not possible to post HTML on this forum and have it rendered as HTML. Most formatting which can be carried out using HTML can be applied using the formatting toolbar when posting a message.
- What are Smilies?
- Smilies, or Emoticons, are small images which can be used to express a feeling using a short code, e.g. :) denotes happy, while :( denotes sad. The full list of emoticons can be seen in the posting form. Try not to overuse smilies, however, as they can quickly render a post unreadable and a moderator may edit them out or remove the post altogether.
- Can I post images?
- Yes, images can be shown in your posts. If the administrator has allowed attachments, you may be able to upload the image to the forum. Otherwise, you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.example.com/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible webserver) nor images stored behind authentication mechanisms, e.g. hotmail or yahoo mailboxes, password protected sites, etc. To display the image use the appropriate button on the formatting toolbar which adds an [img] tag.
- What are sticky topics?
- Sticky topics within the forum appear on top of other topics in a forum. They are often quite important so you should read them whenever possible. Topics are made sticky by Administrators and Moderators.
- What are closed topics?
- Closed topics are topics where users can no longer reply. Topics may be locked for many reasons and were set this way by either the forum moderator or forum administrator.
User Levels and Groups
- What are Administrators?
- Administrators are members assigned with the highest level of control over the entire forum. These members can control all facets of forum operation, including setting permissions, banning users, creating usergroups or moderators, etc., dependent upon the forum founder and what permissions he or she has given the other administrators. They may also have full moderator capabilities in all forums.
- What are Moderators?
- Moderators are individuals (or groups of individuals) who look after the forums from day to day. They have the authority to edit or delete posts and lock, unlock, move, delete topics in the forum they moderate. Generally, moderators are present to prevent users from going off-topic or posting abusive or offensive material.
- I have received a spamming or abusive message from someone on this forum!
- Please e-mail the forum administrator with a full copy of the message you received. The forum administrator can then take action.
Searching the Forums
- How can I search a forum or forums?
- Click the Search link, in the top left of the forum screen, enter a search term in the search box. Click the Go button.
- How can I find my own or someone else's posts and topics?
- Click a username in the topic you have answered to, and view your profile as other's see it.
Topic Subscriptions and Bookmarks
- How do I subscribe to specific topics?
- To subscribe to a specific topic, click the Subscribe button above the thread that you wish to subscribe to.
- How do I remove my subscriptions?
- If you are a registered user, all your settings are stored in the forum database. To remove your subscriptions, click on the My Profile link at the top of the forum page when you are logged in. You can then change your settings using the My Subscribes link underneath the Forum Settings Heading on the top left handside. You can select the subscriptions that you wish to remove by selecting them and clicking on delete in the top right hand corner.
- What is maximum attachment size allowed on this forum?
- The maximum file size for an attachment on this forum is 5mb.